Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sunday - a day of rest, sorta

Got a late start today after getting back late last night. Left the hotel at 10 and made my way to the oldest flea market in Paris at Porte de Clingancourt. It is HUGE and the term "flea market" has a different meaning here. There are the usual tacky things but there are also tons of shops filled with beautiful antiques and collectibles. Glad I'm on a plane and not in a truck or I would have been in serious trouble.

Found a shop first thing owned by a couple who had taught in London for 20 years. They sold their house and opened the shop filled with vintage jewelery, Coco Chanel items, and REAL crowns. No, I didn't buy one but did deplete their inventory. Heidi and Jason were great to talk to. Have met many very nice/interesting people. You could spend days at the market and I well come back on my next trip. It is fascinating just to walk through and look at all the items. Since I made my purchases early, decided to head back after a quick lunch. Managed to take a short nap in preparation for a very late evening.

Bob, Barb, and I left for Moulin Rouge around 10. Stood in a very long line until 11. Althought the seats are reserved, it's best to get in line as soon as possible.

We weren't too sure about the whole thing when it first started. Lots of bare chested women but it is a fantastic show and the costumes are great! The 3 acts during the breaks (no intermission) were our favorites. A ventriloquist, the two most limber and strongest people I've ever seen were great fun. Our seats were to the side but so close that I could have reached out and almost touched the dancers. The ticket included champagne. We got back to the hotel about 1:30 but we were all glad we included the Moulin Rouge in our Paris experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment