Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Last day in London

Didn't spent my last day in London but rather in Canterbury and Leeds. My head is spinning with history --I'm very rusty. Henry VIII was quite the man. The weather looked threatening today with rain but again we dodged bullet. Wish my "don't miss" list was shorter but so far everything is one -- at least once.

Another spectacular church/catheral/abbey. I ordered what I thought would be a great lunch for a change. Tiger prawns with garlic. Alas, when they arrived they were looking back at me -- ick. As with everything in England that displeases you -- it was off with their heads. After that all was well if not messy. British food is underwhelming and not spicy so I need a salsa fix!

There were lots of peacocks, ducks of all kinds, black and white swans and the inevitable Canada geese at Leeds. Barb is not fond of birds so it wasn't her favorite place from that aspect. Hard to believe that has been privately owned for hundreds of years. It is truly beautiful..

Tonight I have to try and get everything back in the suitcase in preparation for departure tomorrow to Paris. That will be no easy feat! We leave the station around 11 a.m.. NOTE: Paris is an hour ahead of London so I'll now be 7 hours ahead of Arkansas time.

London/England has been great and I'm glad I came. It gives wonderful insight into where our country started from. Hope all is well with all of you. I can't see who is following but can see comments.

I'm finally getting used to being called madam. The first time someone called me that I turned around to see who they were talking to! The tube is definitely the way to travel. Took it back after Billy Elliot last night at 10:30. I've not once felt unsafe.

Billy Elliot was very good. A little more dancing than I care for and the brogue was difficult to make out at times, but it was worth it.

Will do my best to post tomorrow but don't know what the situation will be in Paris. I'm having dinner at the Eifel Tower tomorrow night. I've saved all my black clothes for Paris so I'll fit in.

Must go and change money into Euros. I was just figuring out the coins here but at least I'm not the only one struggling with that. Au revoir. (I'm practicing!)

5 comments:

  1. Green with envy about dinner at the tower. Since you loved the beady-eyed prawns in London you absolutely must have escargot in Paris...simply delicious (if you don't think about it too much), and the pastries...oh the tasty pastries. You've got to eat pastry and crepes with wild abandon while in France. It's too good to pass up. - Kyzer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm concered that you just might decide to stay if you are able to find a bowl of salsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still sounds fasinating -- makes me want to visit there! (except for the food of course), Enjoy Paris - it is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin, THX so much for posting each day. and hope that you do find some salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just catching up on your posts. I'm so jealous. It sounds like a such an awesome experience. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete