Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lourve and other adventures

Made it back at 11 last night after 3 hours in the Lourve. Rachel, my guide, owns French Links, and was nice enough to guide the tour herself, which she doesnt normally do. It was incredible and she is amazing in her depth of knowlege. It would take 3 years plus just to see the present collection that represents only 8 percent of their holdings. Would strongly recommend that you spend the extra money for a personal guide so that you can see the "biggees." Im still trying to absorb it all.

My hotel here does not have Internet access so I have to walk a couple of blocks. The keyboard is even more different but it is good to realize that our way is not the only way. Never had never last night so made a point to sit in a side walk cafe to have lunch when I returned from Giverny. Men in Paris smile back at you which is flattering.

I could live in Giverny. There are so many things that have almost brought me to my knees by their sheer beauty amplified by how long ago they were painted, created or built. But there is nothing like a garden to inspire and humble one. Absolutely loved it.

After lunch rode the subway to Ste. Chappelle and Notre Dame. Both are magnificent in different ways but I find myself drawn to the smaller ones -- Ste. Georges Chapel; Temple Church; Ste. Chappelle.

We are going to dinner tonight and then a river cruise. The weather continues to be fantastic. Cool in the morning, warm during the day and sunny.

My big accomplishment for the day was getting out of the station within 5 minutes. I have been searching for the words to describe the difference in London and Paris. Rachel summed it up well -- London is masculine, Paris is feminine. I like the both for different reasons, I am so glad I came. If youre waiting until you retire to travel - dont. It takes lots of energy and Ive seen some really struggle with getting off and on the bus.

Tomorrow is a free day. I was suppose to go to Chartres but it was cancelled. Will do that some other time. Im looking forward to a day to explore.

I am so thankful for my parents who made sure I got an education and appreciated the importance of it. Do wish Id paid more attention in French class. More tomorrow. Going to Moulin Rouge at 11 pm tomorrow and then leaving at 630 am for Normandy. Bon soir:

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are having fun, am enjoying reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monet's paintings at Giverny are my absolute favorites. Hope you are taking lots of photos! Glad you are having a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am enjoying your journal too. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Au revoir! bon nuit.

    ReplyDelete