Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Normandy

After a very late night, Bob, Barb and I left the hotel at 6:15 to join another tour. The Normandy tour with GoAheadTours didn't have enough "takers" so our tour director, Ali made other arrangement for us. We boarded a double decker bus with about 45 others for a 3 hour ride to Normandy.

First stop was the memorial center where we saw a documentary and many items from the war effort, including jeeps, uniforms, letters, etc. Lunch was included in the ticket but to our surprise it wasn't a box lunch. The French are so civilized when it comes to eating -- we had a hot lunch complete with wine and dessert. It's a great way to ensure that all is quiet on the bus.

After lunch, we travelled to the American cemetery. I have no words to add to what history has already written but to add my profound gratitude for the bravery and sacrifice of so many young men and women. I have visited many sacred places on this trip but none so sacred as this one. It was very moving for all of us and I'm still trying to assimilate all of it. My thoughts turned often to my Dad who founght in France and my Mother's brothers who served. If I'm not mistaken, one fought at Normandy and received the Silver Star. Thank you.

Our return journey took us through some of the villages that the Americans took back from the Germans, some of which were totally destroyed by bombs. We walked along the path where German bunkers still stand. The bus driver did an amazing job of getting a very big bus through some very narrow streets. Good thinkg I wasn't driving!

Made it back to the to the hotel about 9:30 and I went in search of a place to post but my usual place was still closed due to technical difficulties. Returned to the hotel and had wine with Ali and some others unti 11:30. Tuesday is another early day.

No comments:

Post a Comment