Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Catching up

Two posts in one day! Departed for the Tower of London this morning a little later than planned. There a problem on the tube so had to get off that train and switch. A lovely young lady helped both of us get lost -- after getting on two wrong trains, Chloe and I finally got to where we needed to be. She was very nice. The snafu resulted in to meeting the two Jeffs from Texas who were passing through London on the way to the Guinness championship in Dublin. Seredipity. Not sure what that is but it involved drinking. They at least at their priorities worked out!

The three of us went to the Tower of London and had a great time. More fun when shared. The last I saw them, they were on there way to the Tower Bridge to see how it works -- think it's a guy thing. I went off find Temple Church. It is not easy but you'll feel a real sense of accomplishment when you do. It is beautiful on a small scale and very calm. It is hidden in a type of courtyard off the very busy Fleet Street. It is an oasis of calm and worth the journey. Some of you may recall that it was in the DaVinci Code.

Can't believe I've run out of time in London. Tomorrow we go to Canterbury and Leeds. Must pay homage to the writers. It is good to mix the city with the day trips. If you can only do one -- Windson Castle is a must.

Still need to see the Banqueting Hall -- a major architectural heritage site. Convent Garden. Hampton Court; Kew Gardens; all the museums. There simply wasn't enough time but I've loved it.

After the calm of the Temple Church went to Harrods. The food court is a must see -- it is indescibable. Looked at the windows of Harvey Nickels. I didn't buy anything but gawking is free.

Seeing Billy Elliott tonight. We leave at 7:45 a.m. for the day trip. I've met some very nice people in addition to the two Jeffs and Chole. Esther in the hotel restaurant -- another very young lady -- has taken good care of me. For some reason, she gave me a class of wine on the house last night. Everyone I've asked for directions have been very good to help.

Bob and Barb from Minnesota are fun. Haven't seen them today but they will be on the trip tomorrow.

The word hasn't made it here that smoking killls or they don't care. It seems that every other person smokes!! So glad it's persona non grata in the States.

It is hard to believe what a young country we are and how much we've accomplished. But we make a mistake by not learning from about where it all started and what brought us to where we are.

Guess I should log off since I'm waxing philosophical. Hard to believe that I still have Paris to go but I'll also be glad to come home. All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment